This is a bare-bones set of lessons meant to give you the general idea of my approach to Sindarin. If you want to get in depth, read my book, “A Fan’s Guide to Neo-Sindarin.” If you want a deeper approach still, take the lessons that involve me correcting and commenting on your translations, which costs money because it takes up a LOT of my time and energy. But, if you just want a surface glimpse of Sindarin, this course is for you.
*Asterisks are used to mark fanmade words, but fan-made grammar isn’t marked.
The dialect I’ll use throughout the lessons is the Exilic dialect, because it’s the best attested dialect.
We won’t be covering in these lessons how to make your own words either, that’s an advanced skill and again, it’s covered in the book and advanced students will get to learn it.
If you want to see the whole course in one document, I made a GoogleDoc version of Gelio Edhellen!
I put together these lessons for free, so please consider donating to keep the website (and its writers) alive! The donation page is on the main website: DonateYou can enroll in this course from your student dashboard. You need to be logged in.
- Lesson 01: Politeness
- Lesson 02: Prestanneth
- Lesson 03: The Noun
- Lesson 04: Plural Nouns
- Lesson 05: The Plural Nouns
- Lesson 06: Aorist Tense
- Lesson 07: Nouns with Adjectives
- Lesson 08: The Noun with "Of"
- Lesson 09: The Copula
- Lesson 10: Helping Verbs
- Lesson 11: Words with Conjunctions
- Lesson 12: Imperative Verbs
- Lesson 13: Class Plural -ath
- Lesson 14: Past Tense A-verbs
- Lesson 15: Nouns with Adjective Phrases
- Lesson 16: Past Tense TA-verbs and I-verbs
- Lesson 17: Stop Past Tense TA-verbs and I-verbs
- Lesson 18: Definite Prepositions
- Lesson 19: Gerunds
- Lesson 20: Numbers
- Lesson 21: Indirect Objects
- Lesson 22: Impersonal Verbs
- Lesson 23: Vowel Reduction with Prefixes
- Lesson 24: Compound Predicates
- Lesson 25: Prepositions and Prefixes with Vocalic Mutation
- Lesson 26: Future Tense
- Lesson 27: Prepositions with Nasal Mutation
- Lesson 28: Negation
- Lesson 29: Indefinite and Reflexive Pronouns
- Lesson 30: Prepositions and Prefixes with Liquid Mutation
- Lesson 31: Past Participle and Passive Voice
- Lesson 32: Prepositions and Prefixes with Stop Mutation
- Lesson 33: Present Participle
- Lesson 34: Perfect Participle
- Lesson 35: Writing Dates
- Lesson 36: Preposition with Spirant Mutation
- Lesson 37: Adverbs and Adverbal Prefixes
- Lesson 38: Prepositional Phrases
- Lesson 39: Questions
- Lesson 40: WH-Words
- Lesson 41: Quotations
- Lesson 42: Subordinate Clauses
- Lesson 43: Relative Clauses
- Lesson 44: Conditional Phrases
- Lesson 45: Nouns with Diminutive Suffixes